Wednesday, February 5, 2014

YO JOE! Kindle Worlds Irons out New Agreement with Hasbro

4429710003_2a82559f58_o

The GI-JOE franchise has enjoyed a resonance the last few years due to two blockbuster movies and the seminal success of the Mobage game GI-Joe Battleground. If you were a child of the 80′s, chances are you had a few Joe action figures and if you were a fiendish collector, you ever had the Terror Drome. Today Amazon has just reached a new agreement with Hasbro to usher in a new age of GI-Joe Fan-Fiction.

The new licensing agreement comes at a historic time for the G.I. JOE brand, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2014, since the first G.I. JOE action figure was released in 1964. It has become one of Hasbro's most enduring and recognizable brands with toys, comics, TV series, films and video games. With the launch of the G.I. JOE World, writers will be able to publish their own original fiction starring iconic G.I. JOE characters like DUKE, SNAKE EYES, and COBRA COMMANDER, and sell their work on Amazon.com.

"Since 1964, G.I. JOE has inspired the imagination of multiple generations by providing a backdrop of excitement and adventure. Whether exploring the secrets of the mummy's tomb, or defending freedom from the evil plots of COBRA, G.I. JOE has been there," said Michael Kelly, Hasbro's Director of Global Publishing. "It is with equal excitement that Hasbro now enters a new segment of the business by embracing the concept of open-source storytelling, and officially unlocking the world of G.I. JOE to our fans through Amazon's Kindle Worlds."

My question, is GI-Joe fan-fiction even relevant in 2014? I remember reading a series of novels when I was a child and picked up some of the graphic novels via Comixology fairly recently. I found Max Brooks, of War War Z fame, did an excellent job on the “Hearts and Minds” Series.

YO JOE! Kindle Worlds Irons out New Agreement with Hasbro is a post from: E-Reader News

No comments:

Post a Comment