Monday, August 31, 2015

Rachel Kray’s 10 deserted island books

Ed. Note: This is the 3rd in our series of books we'd take on a deserted island if we could only pick 10. Thanks again to Time Magazine for the idea!

 

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Stories don't get more compelling than this. I plan to read this book once a year and no desert island will stop me!

Just Kids by Patti Smith

A powerful love story that paints a rich picture of the New York City lifestyle and culture in the 60s and 70s. Anyone who has ever loved a punk rock song, a piece of art, or has loved love itself will be captivated by every one of Smith's words.

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Three words: The Prince's Tale.

Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins

Tom Robbins obviously had lots of fun writing this book and I always have even more fun reading it. Quirky, brilliant, and hilarious – this book is my go-to read when I'm feeling down.

The Stand by Stephen King

If I was stranded on a deserted island, I might finally have time to read this one J

The Weirdness by Jeremy Bushnell

A "hipster" sells his soul to the devil in a last ditch attempt to sell his novel. And there's also werewolves and an evil wizard trying to end the world with a very special lucky cat. Hilarious with brilliant prose, this book in unlike anything else I've ever read.

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Exceptionally well written and equally disturbing, I would bring this book with me to remind myself that there are worst things than being stuck on a deserted island.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

I generally consider this title my all-time favorite book so this was a no brainer. I could also learn from survival and coping tips from the characters.

Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

I love a good memoir and they don't get much better than Augusten Burroughs. I could read his writing all day and would love to do so. This book is my idea of a perfect beach read. Is that weird of me?

Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron

This is my ultimate 'feel-good' read. Also, I'm sure I'd miss my own orange tabby while marooned on an island so this book would certainly make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment