Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A geek’s guide to geeky holiday gifts (part 2)

FanDevices2

 

And now, the thrilling conclusion of my geeky holiday gift guide. If you haven't guessed yet, I'm focusing mainly on devices that are particularly good at consuming media (like eBooks, audiobooks, videos, and music).

Today, it's on to the strange new land of "phablets," to be followed by my top picks for less expensive devices.

On the subject of phablets

Let me get this out of the way first: the term "phablet" drives me crazy for some reason, so from now on, I'll just call them "giant phones." We'll classify them as any phone with a screen larger than 5". Sound fair?

To get on with it, there are actually several choices out there for giant phones, but for me, it really boils down to these:

The Google Nexus 6

I have a Nexus 6 sitting next to me right now, and I kind of love it. The screen is drop-dead gorgeous, and the way they packed 5.96" worth of screen onto a device that doesn't feel clunky makes me think they hired Doctor Who to help with the design. It's only a tiny bit bigger than the iPhone 6+ which has a 5.5" screen (there are a lot of comparison photos in the Forbes review if you're interested in checking it out).

All that being said, the phone is pretty large, so it can take some getting used to. You've been warned. Me? I think it's worth it.

The Nexus 6 isn't perfect, but I'm honestly having trouble coming up with complaints to share with you here. There are still a few bugs (to be expected with any brand new phone), but they're minor, and software updates are imminent.

I'd like the back of the phone to be a little grippier, but it's easier to hold onto than the aluminum-encased competition like the HTC One or iPhone 6.

Price-wise (at $649), I don't think there's a better deal out there for a "flagship" phone. It's cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the iPhone 6+ (off contract), and easily goes toe-to-toe with either for quality and features.

Other notables (the iPhones 6+ and Galaxy Note 4)

The other big players in the giant phone pond are the Apple iPhone 6+ and the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. There are others out there, but these are the two most popular at the moment.

They're both good phones, but both are more expensive than the Nexus 6. I'd say to go with the iPhone if you're already heavily entrenched within the Apple ecosystem. Go with the Galaxy Note if you prefer a slightly smaller device (compared to the Nexus 5 and iPhone 6+) that still sports a jumbo screen.

It's like I said: either phone is a solid choice–I just like the Nexus 6 better. It gets software updates faster, has more screen to go around, and the price is pretty good for what you're getting.

Looking for something less expensive?

There are some really good options out there for gadgets on a budget, but I'll keep this limited to my favorite inexpensive tablet and eBook reader:
* ASUS MeMo Pad 7: At around $130, this is a steal of a tablet with a surprisingly good screen and a decent amount of horsepower. (review)
* NOOK GlowLight: It's not perfect, but it's $99 and doesn't come with ads. I wish it still had physical buttons, but I still like it. (review)

The wrap-up

There you have it–my top picks for tablets, readers, and giant phones this year. Any of the devices I've listed above would be great for ravenous consumption of media.

The most important thing to keep in mind when making your purchase is something us writers tell ourselves daily: who is your target audience? Make sure you're picking the right gift for the right person.

My brother, for example, loves his Apple products, so I wouldn't go out and buy him an Nvidia SHIELD tablet. My wife likes to do more than read books on her device, so I would choose a tablet over an eBook reader for her. You get the idea, and hopefully my list helps you pick out the right gift (or, barring that, helps you buy a little something for yourself).

If you have any questions, or feel like I left something off the list that should be there, feel free to call it out in the comments. Keep in mind, I'm human, and that means my advice comes laced with my own preferences. My only hope is that, when it's time to tear off the wrapping paper, I'll have helped you put a smile on someone's face.

Go forth, my friends, and find that perfect gift! Happy holidays, and good luck!

 

Quinton Lawman is a Technical Writer with OverDrive

No comments:

Post a Comment