Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Distractions of Writing in the Modern World

o-GEORGE-RR-MARTIN-facebook

Writers have a very hard time focusing on pumping out enough content to get their books done and start marketing them. The internet is rife for distractions with instant messaging, popups, emails and our favorite news websites. How can we start to eliminate some of these distractions and make better use of our time?

George RR Martin, the author behind the bestselling books Game of Thrones has a very unique way of writing. He does not work on a modern PC with internet access and a slew of programs. Instead, he uses a very old MS-DOS PC with no connection to the internet and no spell checking software because it fails to recognize fantasy terminology.

The author was a guest on Conan a few days ago and mentioned “I hate some of these modern systems where you type a lowercase letter and it becomes a capital. I don’t want a capital. If I’d wanted a capital, I’d have typed a capital. I know how to work the shift key. Stop fixing it.” He elaborated on his home set up further by saying “I actually have two computers. I have the computer that I browse the internet with, that I get my email on and I do my taxes on. Then I have my writing computer, which is a DOS machine not connected to the internet. Remember DOS? I use WordStar 4.0 as my word-processing system.”George might be onto something with using an old PC with no capabilities to run modern programs. When he devotes time to writing, that is all he does, pure and simple. So many authors I know cannot allocate the proper time to either self-publish or meet deadlines. Emails come in, Facebook status updates beckon for our attention and other aspects of the connected life break immersion.

The Distractions of Writing in the Modern World is a post from: Good e-Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment