Monday, September 16, 2013

Librarian’s Share: getting faculty excited about OverDrive

Whenever our library and school partners alert us to the creative ways their interacting with their users we like to “turn the mic” over, so to speak, and let them tell their story. We call these posts “Librarian’s Share”. Recently, Kristen Baslee Smith of Mercy High School (CA) sent a tweet informing us about a clever way she is turning their school staff into OverDrive champions. This is her story:

 

I work at a small private high school in the San Francisco Bay Area.  My goal this school year is to increase ebook/audiobook circulation by 50%.  The main issue I had was differentiating my audiences.  A marketing campaign for the students would be completely different than a marketing campaign for the faculty.  I decided to start with the faculty first, thinking they would end up being fans of the OverDrive system and would then advertise to the students through word-of-mouth. 

 

Just through the course of user setup, faculty have a completely different login structure than the students, and it isn’t entirely intuitive.  I needed to relay their login information on something that would get noticed.  The faculty receives dozens of emails and a plethora of paper in their mailboxes each day.  A library card or business card sized object would get lost, so I decided a glossy postcard would be perfect.  

 

For about $35 (including shipping) and a half a day of work, I processed about 50 postcards for the faculty.  I hand wrote each person’s login information and on the back wrote a personalized ebook recommendation I thought they would enjoy.

 

The feedback has been great!  Many faculty members are coming up to me in the halls expressing excitement about OverDrive.

 

Next step in the plan is to launch an OverDrive mascot for the library to generate buzz among the students.  We’re just finishing up the sketches and hope to introduce her in the next few weeks.

 

Kristen Baslee Smith is a Librarian at Mercy High School in Burlingame, California.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment